Sequence Bio is a Newfoundland and Labrador biotechnology company headquartered in St. John’s. On Canada’s east coast, we’re a committed team of local and global experts researching the one-of-a-kind genetic makeup of our province to discover better, safer medicines and improve how we treat and prevent diseases.
By combining multi-omic founder population data with longitudinal health records, we are striving to produce novel, validated drug targets no one else can find.
Newfoundland and Labrador’s founder population and unique history make it one of the best unexplored cohorts in the world. Coupled with a high rate of complex and inherited diseases, we have the unique opportunity to identify some underlying differences that may affect disease and health. With this information, we see incredible potential to make a difference in the lives of people in Newfoundland and Labrador - and around the world.
Sequence Bio is leading the NL Genome Project
The NL Genome Project is a large-scale genomics research study that is researching the DNA (through a simple saliva sample) and medical information of 10,000 volunteers in Newfoundland and Labrador in this pilot phase.
The NL Genome Project is currently enrolling 10,000 volunteers at select doctor’s offices throughout the province. Learn all about this research at the NL Genome Project website!NL Genome Project Website
Sequence Bio is committed to benefiting the lives of individuals, families, and communities in Newfoundland and Labrador for generations to come by returning findings to research participants and benefits to the province as a whole.
- Participants can choose whether they want to receive genetic findings that may help guide future treatment options and outcomes.
- Information from our research will stay in Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Genetic counselling support will be provided at no cost to participants and their doctors by Sequence Bio.
- We will share general research findings to integrate precision medicine into our local healthcare system.
- Sequence Bio was founded in 2013 and now has over 25 employees - and growing!
- Our CEO, Chris Gardner, was appointed to the federal Health/Bio-sciences Economic Strategy Table by the Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development.
- Sequence Bio has won the Community Impact and Business Excellence awards at the St. John's Board of Trade Awards.
- Sequence Bio worked with former Senator Jim Cowan to support the passage of Bill S201, ensuring all Canadians are protected from genetic discrimination.
- Genomics expert Dr. Michael S. Phillips is Sequence Bio’s Chief Scientific Officer and previously held roles at Genomics Medicine Ireland and Merck.